I've recently made a switch from MAMP Pro, to Laravel Valet. There's several reasons for switching:
- Performance - MAMP Pro had started slowing down with every major version and it'd become pretty horrible to work with.
- Setup across machines - Valet makes it easier to setup a site from the terminal, major win
The Laravel Valet docs provide a good guide to get started, but here's the low down...
- Make sure Homebrew is installed
- Make sure Composer is installed
- Install Valet via Composer
composer global require laravel/valet. I had an issue with the
valetcommand not being found, I fixed it by following this thread
To create a project with a
.test domain, simple
cd to your folder, and run
valet link. This will automatically use the folder name as the domain name, e.g.
Getting Valet working with Perch
Valet runs a little differently that a standard server. As Valet runs on nginx,
.htaccess files don't work. To create a local environment that'll run Perch, and Perch Runway we need to install some drivers to make sure it works out of the box. I've created two drivers for both Perch and Perch Runway, which can be found below:
To install these, navigate to the
~/.config/valet/Drivers folder, and drop the two files in there. All your Perch builds should now start working locally, huzzah!